Bucharest National Theatre
It initially operated in a building designed by the Viennese architect Heft, and completed in 1845, following the approval of the project by ruler Alexandru Ghica. However, the building was destroyed in 1944, during a Nazi bombing. The institution received a new headquarters only in 1973 – the current building, designed by the architects Horia Maicu, Romeo Belea, and Nicolae Cucu, in the shape of a hat. Following a fire, the building underwent a series of transformations at the orders of Nicolae Ceaușescu. On this occasion, a fourth one, the Amphitheatre, was added to the three halls - Small, Large, and Atelier. In 2012 the building was restored to its old design under the supervision of Romeo Balea, who had also contributed to the original sketches. Following the works carried out between 2011 and 2015, new stylistic elements, play spaces, foyers, and a reading room for theatrical documentation were added to the six floors of the theatre. The capacity was also expanded from 1,720 seats to 2,880. Currently, the theatre bears the name of the playwright Ion Luca Caragiale, has a new logo created by Dan Perjovschi, and operates in six closed rooms and an outdoor amphitheatre. Annually, over 170,000 people attend the performances of the Bucharest National Theatre.
It has, perhaps, one of the most interesting stories related to the headquarters where it operates. The building on Magheru Boulevard, where the Nottara Theatre operates, was built by the engineer Liviu Ciulley for his son. Although he initially opposed Liviu Ciulei pursuing acting, unexpectedly taking part in his entrance exam the engineer realized that, although he had tried to convince him to follow in his footsteps, Liviu Ciulei was truly in love with acting. He eventually decided to support him in his chosen path, building a theatre in which his son to make his debut. The architect responsible for the project was Radu Dudescu. Initially, the former Odeon Theatre – the Great Hall, was spread over an area of 330 square meters, with another 190 square meters upstairs and 80 square meters in the boxes, and the Studio Theatre operated in the newly created space. With the establishment of the communist regime in 1948, the Odeon Theatre was abolished, being replaced by the Army Theatre, later renamed C. I. Nottara. The institution's troupe includes 43 actors, two directors, and a scenographer.
It was opened in 1947 as the country's first state theatre, named the Municipal Theatre, under the direction of Lucia Sturdza Bulandra. It took its current name in 1961, when Liviu Ciulei took over the management of the institution, after the death of the first director. Under his mandate the band had countless tours abroad. Bulandra operates in two halls, Liviu Ciulei and Toma Caragiu.
It was opened in 1946, originally named the C.F.R. Workers' Theatre Giulesti. The current name was adopted after 1990. The theatre has two halls – the Majestic, with a capacity of 300 seats, unique in that it is the only one on the continent with a sliding ceiling, and the Studio, whose floor was built from modular platforms, to allow the stage and audience space to be moved. The historic building monument in which it operates was erected on the site where, over two centuries ago, the Royal Court had been installed by Ioan Caragea.
Țăndărică is a puppet and marionette theatre, established in 1945. Initially, it only had a marionette section, the puppet section being launched four years apart. The institution has hosted, over time, four editions of the International Festival of Puppet and Marionette theatres. An experimental studio, "AnimArt", was also opened here, where classic pieces are reinterpreted in the form of free adaptations. Currently, the institution's team consists of 22 artists.